AD

The BIG chop (Under lockdown stories)

The year was 2018 B.C (Before Corona)

I've had my relaxed/straightened hair for the longest time, probably the last time I cut it was when I was one (well, that's what my mom told me). Ever since then, my hair just kept growing and growing and I consistently straightened it. I will not lie. Straightening my hair made my hair 'job' a little easier. Just comb, tie and go.

But the year 2018 was the year I hit my peak, the year I wanted to change my vibe. I wanted to try something new. I was also on a journey, a personal journey. A lot of things were happening for me that year (hint: I met my first love...did not end well, but that is a story for another day).

My life making a drastic left turn instead of a right made me think a lot, like a lot a lot. I genuinely thought that, maybe if I cut my relaxed hair and keep the natural growth, would make me think a little different or have a new different approach to life. The typical "I cut my hair cause I thought all my problems will go away".....I cut it. Do I regret it? No, but I did hate looking like a boy for a few months. I won't lie, I really do miss my long hair, It gave my face that ambiance lol. Also I was attached to it. I thought I was not going to let it go in my whole life, but look at me now.

But my Afro, my afro has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I grew to love it. I took the time and the energy to grow it and I really did feel great about it. My confidence was on 120%. African queen type of confidence. Something I want every young black woman to feel. Having natural hair is amazing, the best thing about being black. Your crown just makes you feel powerful. One of the things I want to highlight in this blog. Black is beautiful. I am still on my hair journey and I want y'all to be part of it. Yes,I am still new to the Afro vibes and still trying to get used to the high maintenance that I was not warned about before I cut my hair. I mean, I have to figure the type hair I have, wash it with 3 different shampoos and still braid it before I sleep just to keep it puffy and look cute when I comb it out the next day, wheww,wow, I can't, but it is what it is.

A
Instagram: andiswa_thee.queen
(check my afro out)
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Ad

Popular Posts